Teaching Tip of the Week: Roll Up Modifications & Progression
Roll Up Progression
Without a doubt, the Roll Up is a very challenging exercise even for some seasoned practitioners (even me)!
Here are some simple modifications that you can use to help a client progress toward a beautiful, smooth Roll Up.
• use a Flexband around the feet
• use hand weights as a counterbalance
• use hand weights between the ankles to help anchor the legs - gradually use less weight in the hands/ on the ankles
• use a towel along the spine or in the part of the spine that a client has the least ability to sequence well
• challenge your client by using “picture frame arms” rather than using the arms or momentum or counterbalance.
Ruth Ruttan is the Education Coordinator for Retrofit Pilates in Toronto, Canada, a Master Instructor specializing in Pre & Postnatal Pilates and a Birth & Postpartum Doula. Each week Ruth shares tips, tools and reminders for Pilates instructors and students with the intention of keeping us inspired, asking questions and always seeking to improve our teaching and our Pilates practice.